In 1948 the need for an association of Hospital
Auxiliaries became a reality. At a meeting of the MAHA
in 1957 the North Central District (NCD) was created.
The NCD is composed of the 20 most northern counties of
the Lower Peninsula. The North Central District is the
second largest district in area in the MAHA. It
stretches from Lake Huron on the east, to Lake Michigan
on the west, to the Mackinac Bridge on the north, and to
West Branch on the south. There are 11 hospitals
affiliated with the NCD, with approximately 2,188
auxilians/ volunteers. They annually donate more than
300,000 service hours and more than $1,000,000 in funds
to Michigan hospitals.
The North Central District has the largest geographic
area of the six MAHA districts. It stretches from Lake
Huron on the east to Lake Michigan on the west, to the
Mackinac Bridge on the north and as far south as West
Branch. The North Central District Board consists of
seven officers. Individual hospitals are under the
direction their own volunteer Boards.