The Auxiliary was originally formed in 1950 by wives of the Doctors on staff and was known as the Detroit Memorial Hospital Auxiliary. In l963, a group of women in Macomb County were organized to solicit money for the construction of a new hospital to be known as South Macomb Hospital. After a merger with Detroit Memorial Hospital, the name of the Auxiliary was changed to Detroit-Macomb Hospitals Auxiliary. South Macomb Hospital opened its doors on March 1,1966 with 50 Volunteers. The Auxiliary, now known as the St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Macomb Campus Auxiliary, consists of almost 400 Volunteers who donated over 43,000 hours in the calendar year 2014. Several of the original members are still volunteering.
Over the years since the formation of the Auxiliary, its members have taken on numerous projects and donated over $5 million to the Hospital.
St. John’s Macomb Campus Auxiliary has a Board which reviews reports and makes recommendations to the Auxiliary at large. The Board also makes periodic reviews of the Auxiliary By-laws and updates them when necessary.
The Board consists of 16 Members who are either elected or appointed by the Board President (depending on the Office held) for two-year periods.
Community Activities include: assisting the City of Warren with their annual luncheon honoring those City residents who are 80 and over in age; a Clothes Closet that is available to any in house or Emergency Room patient who doesn’t have sufficient clothes to return home, an activities cart containing playing cards, puzzles, books and magazines which is available to all in-house patients and we send volunteers to assist with the yearly Taste Fest celebration. We also have volunteers who assist in two senior groups in the area as well as a number of health fair activities.