In November 1955, a representative group of the
Michigan Association of Hospital Auxiliaries met in
Grand Rapids to organize the West Central District. Mrs.
Harry F. O'Malley, St. Mary's Hospital Auxiliary, was
West Central District was then organized and the
first meeting was held February 10, 1956, at the Women's
City Club in Grand Rapids. Seven Hospitals were
represented: Greenville, Ludington, Holland, Zeeland,
Blodgett, Butterworth and St. Mary's.
The district has grown rapidly since that first
meeting. It began with seven participating auxiliaries
and there are now seventeen with a combined membership
of approximately 4,000 encompassing thirteen counties.
The counties include Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon, Ionia,
Mecosta, Montcalm, Oceana, Newago, Mason, Lake Osceola,
Allegan, and Van Buren.